What really is the definition of classy, chic? Well ladies as a qualified accessory designer, my grueling years at the Cordwainer’s program taught me the 101 on everything bags, accessories and fashion- from designing, crafting, marketing to writing and understanding buyers! First of all lets define the overly used term ‘chic’- chic is a fancier way of saying stylish. An individual who looks very well put together and is conscious of how they look and what they wear can be defined as chic-a personality or image beyond the mere physical. On the other hand, classy and chic put together indicates having achieved a certain level of refinement in your dress sense and an understanding of it. Think Amal Clooney; classy as hell, but jussst a little over the edge! So now, how to shop for a classy yet chic bag? Check out the 6 pointers below:
1) Clean lines is the first step to a clean and classy look! There are many luxury/high street hand bags that offer interesting aesthetics, but its best to pick one that’s simple yet stylish. This neat Dior bag is the perfect example (see below)
2) Minimal hardware- a nice closure or a lush chain is enough to enhance a simple structure like the classic YSL bag below: 3) Feminine and trending details- classy and chic is best pulled together if the silhouette is clean and the details are easy on the eye. For instance some cute floral cut outs would make for a safe trend that’s pretty and simple all at once! Check out the Fendi floral satchel and the Mahvash Micro Felicity:
4) The grained or nappa leather look! It gives the bag a more heavy and rich feel, or better yet buy a REAL leather bag which will instantly upgrade your look with an expensive appeal. And If you REALLY want a textured bag (they look best in mini’s) best bet would be an embossed leather skin preferably in croc or fish! I would still suggest keeping it plain or grained.
5) When shopping for a classy, chic bag labels aren’t necessary as long as it has all the characteristics listed above! I personally feel if you’re avoiding the obvious statement logo and are willing to splash on a long lasting beautiful classic bag then the Chanel calf leather flap bag is absolutely perfect! (also given that you just want classic and not the combo of classy, chic)
6) Lastly choice of colour- typically classy, chic would be best in a deep hued base colour contrasted with details of a brighter or similar shade! I suggest choosing black, burgundy, or a rich/deep blue as the base and allowing pops of colour in the details (works all year round). OR go completely light/bold keeping in mind that the base and details should be one colour.